Thursday, September 12, 2013

Welcoming in the New Year—Part Two


Noodle kugel is a casserole with noodles, eggs
and cheese. Often cinnamon and raisins are added
for sweetness. 
When we left off last week I was at the water’s edge attempting to find redemption. As far as I know none of the ducks were harmed as the result of our actions. Being analytical by nature I pause to contemplate if my contrition outweighs the salacious thoughts swirling in my synapsis. Needless to say, human impulse provides abundant fuel for cleansing and purification.

Naturally, while I was working out at the gym this week, the right shoulder of the twenty-something crushing her abs on the machine in front of me had a tattoo with the words, “Judgment is weakened by desire.” Coming in the middle of the Days of Awe, I knew this was a sign. Fortunately, my judgment informs my habitual attendance at the gym, and while I desire the attention of that or any young (or for that matter, old) woman, it never weakened my commitment to complete all of the reps in each set on the chest press and throughout my routine.

The Sound of the Shofar.
Getting back to the Days of Awe, as promised last week, I will attempt to provide a detailed description of what they are and how they are supposed to work. They begin, as previously noted, with Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. Ten days later, they end on Yom Kippur, which translates to, “ The Day of Atonement.”  Similar to a twelve step program, one must first acknowledge the problem before a solution can be sought. Easy enough, I misbehaved or had impure thoughts. (Go ahead; tell me you didn’t. Put it in the comment section. I dare you.) No heavy lifting on Rosh Hashanah. Like I said, it’s really a happy celebration.

Next, you’re supposed to make amends. We were invited to a party on Sunday to welcome the New Year. It was at the home of friends we used to see around once a month. My guess is it was more than a year since we saw them last. The other couples, which we used to see at those monthly get-togethers, were there, too. While our lives have taken us in different directions, and exclusion does not necessarily imply malice or misconduct (Birthdays, Bar Mitzvahs, Graduations, Weddings and Funerals have limitations; you can’t invite everyone), I never heard anyone say they were sorry. Everyone wished everyone else a Happy New Year and enjoyed the visit, especially the food. The blintzes and kugel were fabulous.


The Hebrew letters spell out Yom Kippur.

Finally, the big day is just around the corner. Tomorrow, at sunset, Yom Kippur begins. That’s right, Jewish days start at sunset of the previous day. I used to think that was ridiculous until I realized how arbitrary it is to begin a day in the middle of the night. (If you question my logic, then explain the reason for 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes in a day and 60 seconds in a minute; why not 10/100/100?) Jews fast the day; no food, no water. The metaphor is one a writer readily identifies, a book. On Rosh Hashanah, the first day of awe, it is written, and Yom Kippur, the final day of awe, it is sealed. What is our fate? Sickness, health, hunger, abundance, sorrow, happiness, ignorance, enlightenment, poverty, wealth, death, life? May you be sealed for a good year in the Book of Life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments.