Thursday, June 13, 2013

My First Trip to Tahoe


Since we were already going north to Palo Alto for the bat mitzvah of my cousin’s second daughter, we decided to continue three and half hours to the east to Lake Tahoe. Deb was there with a girlfriend around thirty years ago. This was my first trip, although I did travel just to the north of it when I drove through Donner Pass on I-80 on my initial visit to California. We detoured off our route around the lake on Wednesday to see this amazing gap in the mountains through which these pioneers came with horse and wagon.

Debbie waits patiently for just the right moment
to capture another sunset.
Given ski season had ended and summer hadn’t truly struck yet, we were able to find a resort for an exceptionally good price. My sole purpose for this vacation was to kick back and enjoy myself. Sitting on the beach, eating at some of the fine dining places nearby, and reading a good book were on my agenda. Finding beautiful sunsets, and there were a lot to be found at this gorgeous Alpine lake surrounded by snow-capped mountains, was all I needed to keep my wife happy.

Sunday, we slalomed in the car down Ski Run Boulevard and parked in the lot next to Riva’s Grill, so we wouldn’t have to pay for valet parking. Then, Deb wandered out onto the pier to capture the first of many orange and pink hued sunsets.

Actual chair and desk where Samuel Clemens
became the author Mark Twain
sits next to his portrait.
Monday morning we went to the vendor presentation session our resort sponsored and won a two for one trip to Virginia City that we took today. I am a huge fan of Mark Twain, and he started his writing career in this mining town. We also had the opportunity to ride a train through the Comstock Lode, get a free drink at the Delta Saloon and see the Suicide Table, which was retired after three gamblers on separate occasions took their lives after losing everything while playing at this particular furnishing. While it rained Monday, Deb was still able to capture some sunsets from the roof of our resort.

Tuesday, we hiked to see a magnificent lake off the southern tip of Tahoe. Our concierge pointed us to the more secluded body of water and the waterfalls at its far end. We saw a second falls that spills into Tahoe and Inspiration Point that overlooks Emerald Bay. In the evening we dined at Beacon Café at Camp Richardson. The coupon we had for a free appetizer provided us with a mouth-watering ceviche. Even though there is no direct view of the sun setting, our waiter assured us the reflections on the water would be worth waiting to see. He definitely undersold the sensational way Mother Nature brushed colors across the sky and surface of the lake that night.
Even I with my point and shoot iPhone
couldn't screw up such a beautiful sunset
at Zephyr Cove of Lake Tahoe.

As previously noted, we drove around the lake on Wednesday. For anyone who has ever had to deal with a spouse that is permanently attached to a camera I need not say how many vista points, or anything remotely resembling a possible point of interest, we had to stop to examine. Now, for those who have grown tired of this post because it is mainly travelogue and lacks satire I am posting this photograph of Zephyr Cove. Although, we passed it up on Wednesday, because Deb didn’t want to pay eight dollars for parking, due to technological advances in the digital age I’m able to post this sunset that was taken tomorrow, Friday, June 14.     

2 comments:

Please leave your comments.